Your Basic Guide For Traveling To Colombo With Ease!
Sri Lanka is the ultimate destination in Asia for anyone looking for a mix of nature, culture and history. It is also one of the few countries in the continent that can fit almost all kinds of budget. If you are in Sri Lanka, there is no way that you can miss Colombo, which is the financial and commercial capital of the country. Here are the top things that you need to know.
- Colombo is high on beauty, but also big in terms of pollution and traffic jams. Unless you are very sure of traveling on your own, it is best to look for a packaged tour. Most agents who offer voyage au Sri Lanka would include this city on the list, and it is highly recommended that you spend at least two to three days here.
- Sinhala and Tamil are the official languages of Sri Lanka, but you can manage with English, especially in Colombo. Make sure that you try to say a few things like “Thank you” and “Welcome” in either of the two official languages.
- The food here is mix of many choices, but you will find packet lunches for very cheap prices all through the city. Mid-range restaurants are also in plenty, and if you have a thing for spices, do take a shot of the local curries. South-Indian food is also available in plenty.
- The National Museum of Colombo and Natural History Museum are two important museums worth checking, and you can also make time for The Lionel Wendt Memorial Art Centre. Colombo Zoological Gardens is also one of the places of interest.
- Nightlife in Sri Lanka is extremely fun, as long as you can find the right places. Around 20 minutes away from the city is Mount Lavinia, which offers a good range of shacks, restaurants and other entertainment places, right on the beach. From enjoying the local cuisine to soaking some jazz and tropical music, you can do it all.
It is advisable to book your trip in advance, especially if you want to get the big deals. Also, from Colombo, you can travel to most parts of Sri Lanka, especially Kandy, which is known as the cultural capital. If planned well, most of the interesting destinations can be covered in 10 days. Make sure to check for online deals, so that you can save on flights and hotels.